Back-to-School Recipe Spotlight: Greek Chicken and Potatoes
No matter what the new school year may bring, we know families are looking for quick, easy and tasty dinner options that the whole family will love. We’re excited to share a delicious Greek chicken and potato recipe by The Mediterranean Dish that will surprise you with flavor in the best way possible.
For Chicken and Potatoes:
- 3 lb chicken pieces, bone in and skin on (i.e. 2 breasts and 3 legs)
- 4 gold potatoes (about 2 lb), scrubbed clean, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved then sliced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 to 12 pitted quality kalamata olives, optional
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
For the Lemon-Garlic Sauce (can also be used as marinade)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 12 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried rosemary (or dried oregano)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pat chicken dry and season generously with salt (lift the skins and apply salt underneath as well).
- Arrange potato wedges and onions in the bottom of a baking dish or pan. Season with salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Add the chicken pieces.
- Make the lemon-garlic sauce. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil with lemon juice, minced garlic, rosemary, and nutmeg. Pour evenly over the chicken and potatoes.
- Arrange lemon slices on top. Pour chicken broth into the pan from one side (do not pour broth over the chicken).
- Bake in a heated oven uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until chicken and potatoes are tender. (Chicken’s internal temperature should register at 165 degrees F). If you like, place the pan under the broiler briefly to allow the chicken skins to gain more color (watch carefully).
- Remove from heat and add kalamata olives, if you like. Garnish with a little bit of fresh parsley.
- Serve with Greek Salad, Tzatziki sauce and a side of pita bread, if you like. Enjoy!