Greek Spring Recipe: Spanakopita
Spending all this time at home is the perfect excuse to try out a new recipe! Spanakopita is a Greek favorite that uses spinach, feta and fresh herbs to create a flaky and flavorful pastry for the spring season. We hope you have a chance to make the recipe below, courtesy of Dimitra’s Dishes.
- 1 pack phyllo pastry, at room temperature
- 1 pound baby spinach, chopped
- 2 bunches fresh dill, finely chopped or 3 heaping teaspoons dried dill
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese, full fat and at room temperature
- 1 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 eggs, beaten and at room temperature
- 2 cups olive oil, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- Baking tray dimensions used for this recipe: 18″ x 13″ x 1″
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine the chopped spinach, dill, scallions, ricotta, and feta cheese in a large bowl and using your very clean hands, mix very well. Knead it, crush it and keep mixing until everything is combined.
- Taste the mixture and add as much salt and pepper as you like.
- Add the beaten eggs and about 1 cup of olive oil and mix well.
- Grease the baking sheet with oil.
- Lay 3 sheets of phyllo on the bottom of the pan and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Place 2 sheets of phyllo half in the pan and half hanging outside of the pan on all four sides of the pan. See the video in the recipe link above.
- Spread all of the filling inside of the phyllo sheets. All of the sheets that are hanging outside of the pan should go over the filling.
- Drizzle some olive oil all over the phyllo. Cover half of the pie with 2 sheets of phyllo, tucking them under and repeat the same with the other side of the pie.
- Take the remaining phyllo sheets one at a time and crumble them in rows on top of the pie. Drizzling all the remaining olive oil on top of them. This will create a crisp, light crust.
- Using a very sharp knife cut the pie into 12 equal slices.
- Place in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for 1 hour. The pie will be crisp and golden brown.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before serving. This will allow the filling to set. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe and image link: Spanakopita: Greek Spinach Pie (Dimitra’s Dishes)