Holiday Recipe Spotlight: Greek Turkey Stuffing with Sausage
Although Thanksgiving celebrations may look a little different this year, there’s no reason that you shouldn’t still cook a feast that will impress your family members (even virtually). Mix it up and try a new recipe that’s a spin on a classic Thanksgiving special. While stuffing is always a fan favorite at Thanksgiving, The Greek Foodie’s flavorful Greek turkey stuffing with sausage recipe will move the side dish to center stage.
Greek Turkey Stuffing With Sausage
For the stuffing
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 red onion diced
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 cup boiled chestnuts halved
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 5-6 dates diced
- 5-6 prunes diced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/2 cup broth chicken or veg
For the turkey baste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 3 oranges juiced
- 3 lemons juiced
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 sage sprig
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot add the butter. In medium heat, sauté the onion until soft and fragrant. Add the ground beef and sausage. Break with a spoon any large pieces. Brown ground meat all over, 3-4 min.
- Add the rice. Stir well. Sauté mixture for 1-2 min. Add 1/2 cup broth, the raisins, chestnuts, dates, prunes, cloves and the pine nuts. Stir mixture well gently. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Remove from heat.
Prepare the turkey baste
- Mix orange and lemon juice with the chicken broth. Add the melted butter. Season with a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper. Stick the rosemary, thyme and sage sprigs in the baste to infuse it while you cook the turkey. Keep it in a warm surface.
Stuff the turkey and roast
- Spoon your stuffing into the neck cavity, very loosely. Fold neck skin over opening.
- Stuff the large cavity of the turkey loosely, stuffing will expand as it cooks.
- Using kitchen twine cross the legs together and tie them securely.
- Lightly baste the turkey every 15 minutes after the first hour of cooking. Apply the baste warm to the turkey. Stop basting during the last 30 minutes of cook time.
- When turkey is ready, empty the stuffing in a serving bowl and serve. Enjoy!