Recipe Spotlight: Kalitsounia
Need a new dessert recipe? Kalitsounia is a sweet cheese pie that also happens to be an authentic Greek treat. Take away the sprinkled cinnamon and drizzled honey on top and Kalitsounia can double as an appetizer. These delicious, cheese-filled desserts are ready to eat in under an hour, so you can spend less time baking and more time tasting! The full recipe can be found here, and is outlined below:
- 1½ cups flour, plus extra for kneading surface
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- 7 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- Egg Wash
- 1 egg
- Splash of water
- In a large bowl, combine and mix flour, baking powder, and sugar.
- Add in all remaining ingredients under the dough section in the order listed, one at a time.
- Mix until all ingredients are combined then place on floured surface and knead until soft dough is formed.
- Set dough aside. Start on filling.
- In a bowl, add all filling ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Take dough ball and place on floured surface, roll out to rectangle, about ½ inch thick.
- Taking a cup, create circle cutouts in the dough. Remove remaining dough so you are left with just the circle cutouts.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cheese filling to center of each circle, and either fold over to close, or pinch sides to create shapes – it’s up to you here, be creative.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roll the remaining dough back out and repeat until all dough is used.
- Once done, brush each cheese pie with egg wash (combine egg and water, mix).
- Place in preheated oven at 350F for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove, sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle some honey. Enjoy!
Recipe via Lemon and Olives; photo via My Greek Dish