Specialty Vegan Dishes at Greektown’s Restaurants
As veganism continues to grow, many people search for restaurants that cater to their dietary restrictions. Greektown has a number of restaurants that offer vegan options and are currently open for carry-out and delivery!
- Artopolis Bakery, Cafe & Agora features several warm, vegan comfort foods on its menu that are perfect for the winter. Artopolis is known for its signature artopitas, which are light and flaky puff pastries filled with a variety of ingredients. For those following a vegan diet, Artopolis offers their specialty mushroom & spinach artopita! The artopitas can be served alone or with any side, such as a bowl of the vegan soup of the day. The vegan flatbread is a delicious shareable appetizer that is topped with roasted veggies, avocado mash, spinach, olive oil and oregano. Customers can order any of these vegan specialties for pickup or for delivery via Uber Eats or Grubhub.
- Greek Islands currently has a limited menu available for pickup and delivery on Postmates and Grubhub, but there is no shortage of vegan offerings! If you love appetizers, Greek Islands has many vegan-friendly dishes, such as the crisp beets marinated with garlic in an olive oil vinaigrette, or skordalia, which is a smooth garlic-potato spread, blended with their own imported extra virgin olive oil. The lentil soup is also offered on a daily basis and guaranteed to warm you up on a cold, winter day. For a main course, Greek Islands offers a vegan version of its moussaka, a traditional Greek eggplant-based dish. Those following a vegan diet can request any of the salads without cheese, such as the Athenian traditional Greek salad with lettuce, fresh vine tomatoes and Greek olives.
- Athena Greek Restaurant uses olive oil instead of butter in most of its cooking, making many of its dishes vegan-friendly. For example, they are able to serve the shrimp Athena without the shrimp, as a delicious hot skillet of tomatoes, onions and peppers sautéed in olive oil, or the dolmades, rice wrapped in grape leaves, egg-lemon sauce and potatoes without the beef. Other vegan offerings include the vegetable kabob, which is two skewers of zucchini, onions, eggplant, peppers, rice and potato or the vegetable moussaka, consisting of layers of baked eggplant, zucchini, potatoes and bechamel sauce. Athena’s variety of spreads, such as melitzanosalata, which is a roasted eggplant & garlic spread, and Skordalia, the creamy garlic and potato spread, also cater to the vegan diet. Customers can also choose to have the spreads served with either pita bread, regular bread or sliced cucumbers, carrots and peppers. Athena is currently offering carry-out and delivery through Grubhub, Doordash and Postmates.
- Meli Café & Juice Bar offers a special vegan & gluten-free menu of breakfast and brunch options. The Vegan Pancakes are a crowd-favorite, made with flour, soy, and an apple-cider base and topped with strawberries, bananas and organic agave syrup. For those that prefer a more savory, veggie-packed morning meal, the Tofu Scrambler is a go-to, consisting of sautéed broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, roasted red peppers and organic tofu. You can find Meli Café’s full vegan menu here and can order take-out or delivery through Grubhub and Doordash from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. daily.
- Aodake Ramen, the newest addition to the Greektown dining scene, also features vegan ramen options on its menu. Its signature Vegan Tantan is a seaweed and shiitake mushroom soup base with blend soy sauce, sesame paste, baby bok choy, broccoli, beansprout, green onion, cabbage, homemade chili paste and chili oil. Aodake also offers a number of vegetarian and vegan appetizers, from its Grilled Shishito Peppers to its Spicy Edamame. Aodake Ramen is available to order through Grubhub and Seamless – its full menu can be found online here, along with its gluten-free menu here.